**This position requires travel between the Washington, DC and Baltimore stores at least one to two visits per month.
REQUIREMENTS: The Associate Buyer must be fashion-forward with a working knowledge of inventory and database management software, buying seasons, wholesale purchasing, campaign planning while able to prioritize tasks, focus on multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously. Proven leadership skills and well versed on Nubian Hueman Mission and vision along with a strong pulse on up & coming trends and style. This position is integral to our family as it serves as the heartbeat of the business. It is the basic purpose for what we do to bring unique, quality, cultural goods to our clientele. The Associate Buyer will be paid up to 32 hours per week.
- Knowledgeable of current fashion trends and forecasting. Styling experience is a plus.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, collaborative, self-motivated, able to work independently, passionate, and hardworking
- Solid and working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and/or Mac/and Google Sheets
- Familiar with consumer behavior and selling trends
- Analytical, articulate, result-oriented and has excellent follow-up skills
- Solid and working knowledge of POS system both on the front and back end
- Able to lead and meet with team bi-weekly/monthly
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Open availability on weekends
- Create and maintain an environment that is customer and team focused
- Ensure appearance and grooming standards are professional and reflective of the brand at all times and in season
- Communicate on a regular basis with CEO and store team to ensure a constant flow of information
- Develop team on presentation and proper product intake processes
- Attend and participates in meetings, events, presentations, and brainstorming sessions as directed.
Place / Product
- Provide outstanding customer service.
- Build and maintain a repeat clientele with constant client communication.
- Keep sales floor and merchandise clean, neat, organized and stocked.
- Expert on product knowledge by keeping current on all new collections as well as core product. lines and develop product knowledge among sales staff.
- Attend vendor market appointments to assist Lead Curator.
- Assist in the maintenance of all inventory in the stockroom and on the selling floor.
- Adhere to and enforce Nubian Hueman standards, policies and procedures.
- Coordinate vendor appointments.
- Maintain listing of all orders and follow up with vendors until all orders are received.
- Build a relationship with current vendor base.
- Submit new vendor information.
- Send Purchasing Agreement and communication to new vendors.
- Partner with store team to receive incoming inventory.
- Review and analyze department sales history.
- Work with Lead Curator to develop products.
- Negotiate with vendor for better pricing on costs, shipment, etc.
- Calculate freight and duty charges with Lead Curator.
- Develop product assortment according to season, holidays, and special events.
- Assist with developing ad content and/or promotions at least 4-6 months in advance.
- Keep current with industry trends to ensure we are offering enticing products.
- Correspond with vendors by email and telephone and promptly respond to all inquiries.
- Keep up-to-date all line sheets, invoices, and purchasing sheets along with light filing in store.
- Assist with the development and updating of databases such as inventory management.
- Sample procurement and management.
- Assist with developing artists on how to maintain relationships with retailers.
- Take extra effort to partner with vendors that concentrate on (but are not exclusive to) brands and artists that provide growth opportunities and/or a portion of its proceeds to not-for-profit organizations, fair-trade, or socio-developmental causes.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Ensure orders and deliveries are properly processed in a timely manner.
- Adhere to work schedule.
- Monitor sales trends and execute plans to maximize sales within the store.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, prioritize and control the workflow.
- Perform and present research methods, findings, and conclusions.
- Develop and track initiative effectiveness.
- Find and achieve cost savings through sourcing of new suppliers, manufacturers and distributors.
- Maintain communication between Nubian Hueman and vendor account holders.
- Compensation paid on an hourly basis unless noted otherwise.
- Paid holiday if store is closed on a normally scheduled workday.
- 25% off all full priced purchases.
- Bi-annual assessments with annual pay review.
- Telecommuting (when necessary).
- Relaxed dress code.
*Responsibilities not limited to bullet points.
To Apply: Please apply here.